Thursday, June 7, 2007

Food, etc.

(I am sorry for the lack of knitting today. I'm thinking about food too much).

I'm a strange person, also an especially strange teenager. I love to knit (obviously), sew, bake, and do anything, I don't know, basic? Things that use my hands and have me making something out of basically nothing intrigue me.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(Me and my cousins climbing a tree. I'm the only one with a face showing, but now I have no braces and this picture was about 3 years ago)

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Thai/Indian/Asian food. Not the Americanized crappy Chinese food you get, but the real thing. I'm not so much into Chinese food as Thai. I first fell in love with it when I went out to California for my aunt Anne's wedding. We went to this lovely restaurant with a tree in the middle of it (With glass around it). I don't remember what I ate, only that I loved it. I went out to San Francisco again to see her my freshman year of high school, and we went out to Dim sung (sun? sum? I'm sorry, I've probably gotten the spelling wrong). This is sort of like a sit-down buffet, were the people that serve you just walk around asking, "would you like some of this?" and then if you take some they mark on your sheet how much and what kind of dumplings you get. I mostly remember the little lemon custards we had for dessert.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(Out of the Window of the attic where I stayed at my Aunt's)

Then, the summer after I went to California for the second time, I went to England and France with my Grandpop. That's when we really enjoyed ourselves. In France, we ate ice cream for dinner the first night! In England, when we went for a stay in London we stayed at a B&B right outside of London - in a very diverse neighborhood, and there was an Indian restaurant. WE ordered about five dishes, and I was EXTREMELY disappointed that we could not keep the leftovers because we were in a hotel room.

Since then, I've figured out a nice, easy recipe for the a Chicken curry. My boyfriend (mike) just calls it "The Chicken" - he loves it. I made it for him for his 18th birthday (along with 13 other people. Jeez that was a lot of chicken).

Here is my modified version of the recipe:

Indgredinets:(Serves 2-3 people)
1-2 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2-4 tablespoons Red Curry Paste
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder (or a real garlic, but I never have one)
1/2 normal-sized can coconut milk

Warm Coconut milk over medium heat in a deep frying pan. Add curry paste, when paste forms a thin film of oil over the coconut milk then add fish sauce, garlic powder, and chicken. Cook chicken until, when poked with a spoon, it does not feel squishy.
Serve over rice (otherwise, it does not taste as good).
And that is my version. I like it.

(edited to add pictures)

No comments: